Friday, May 20, 2011

Insomnia, or Canning in the Stinkin' Dark!

I could not sleep last night.  To compound my troubles, our satellite tv is not working due to the snowstorm we've been having the last two and a half days.  I have watched every movie on the shelf, so I was going through my cookbooks to try and get sleepy.  I had to do something, and Lord knows I wasn't going to do anything like clean for heaven's sake!  Well, I didn't find anything interesting in reading material, so I wandered up to the kitchen to see what I could whip up.
They had beautiful tomatillos at the store when I had my last shopping day, and really nice green onions.  I had several pasilla peppers that needed used, and a whole bag of limes, so after wasting a half hour sharpening every knife in the kitchen, I put together this salsa.  It is a small batch, but made two pints I canned, and almost one more for the fridge for immediate consumption.  I will use it up quickly, as it is great served hot over eggs for breakfast huevos, awesome with chips as a snack, and the flavor tang for tasty posole.  It is great served over broiled fish in a fish taco, too!

Mean Green Salsa
8 large tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and diced
4 pasilla peppers, diced and seeds removed
2 jalapenos diced
8 scallions diced
2 C diced white onion
zest from 2 limes
juice from 4 limes
1/3 C cilantro
2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed in your palm
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp canning salt
Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until tomatillos soften and start to break down.  Pack in hot sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace, and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.  Makes 2 2/3 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment