Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mandarin Chicken Salad

The last of this week's rotisserie chicken chopped and made into a low fat salad with fresh Cuties (that needed used up) some celery(also needed used) and other ingredients to make a delicious meal for lunchtime.
I always have a pot of stock going it seems.  I save the carcass when I buy rotisserie chickens, or turkey breasts from our grocery store's deli.  I happen to have a whole turkey carcass this time, because I cooked turkey for the holidays, so I have that cooling, ready to be picked, and soup made for supper, plus several quarts of stock for the freezer, or to be pressure canned if I have time. 
In another stock pot, is the carcass of the chicken mentioned above.  I gleaned all I could from the chicken, and put all the skin and bones, along with a couple bay leaves, and a handful of peppercorns in and covered it with water. I have a simmer burner on my stove, and it's bubbling away back there while life happens, and I don't have to worry about it.
The best part of making your own stock is that it makes your house smell like you are busy cooking, even if you are not! 

Anyway, I made this salad for me, because I love Mandarin Chicken Salad.  I may hide it in the back so Don doesn't take it in his lunch. 

Mandarin Chicken Salad

2 C cooked diced chicken
1 C diced celery
1 bunch scallions diced
1 T roasted black sesame seeds
3 Mandarin oranges (Cuties) peeled and broke up into sections
a handful of chopped almonds

Asian Dressing
1/4 C Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Juice of 2 Meyer lemons
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 T sugar or splenda
pinch of red pepper flake
2 dashes of sesame oil

Note:  sesame oil can be overpowering.  Use sparingly
Mix all salad ingredients.  Pour on dressing, and toss to coat.  Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment