Friday, November 11, 2011

Burgundy Beef Ribs

I have no stamina for shopping any more.  I used to be able to go all day, and still have energy left to burn when I got home.  Now, we go to one or two stores, and I'm done for. 
It didn't help that we went out to lunch yesterday before we went shopping.  We ate at our favorite Chinese place.  They have a buffet at lunch time, so it is a quick lunch with awesome food.  Only problem is, I ate carbs, and was so sleepy by the time we left, I lost my passion for shopping.  I only got half my shopping done for the next couple weeks. 
I'll have to finish up sometime this weekend, which will be tricky, as we are teaching horsemanship at the college.
I like to sit down with the sale circulars on Wednesday, and make my menu and list for shopping.  I have done this for so many years, it is a quick bit of work to get it done, usually.  Sometimes I struggle to come up with ideas for something different, but if I browse through a couple cookbooks, I can usually find something. 
I sometimes make a special trip to another grocery store to pick up good buys on things, but I mostly shop at the Safeway down the street.  I did some cost studies on a typical grocery list a couple years ago, and although I could get items cheaper by traveling to Riverton to buy them, the savings was lost in time and travel. 
At Thanksgiving time, there are some incredible specials, so I made an exception yesterday, and went to another grocery store to get a few things.  They had frozen turkey breasts on sale for $1.89.  We buy a lot of rotisserie turkey at our grocery store, to make sandwiches, and to make stock from the bones.  These frozen ones are significantly cheaper, so I bought as many as I could.  No one wants to cook a whole turkey often, but it is no problem to just cook these breast portions.  They also had leg/thigh portions for cheaper.  They make wonderful turkey enchiladas, and the bones yeild a lot of stock for every day cooking. 
Along with the turkey, they had boneless beef ribs on special sale.  We brought home a family sized package, and I made this dish for supper.  It made way more than we could eat, but it is so tender from long cooking, and I will be able to use the leftovers for more meals. 
I love the flavor of meat cooked in wine.  Luckily, my favorite brand of wine, Bogle is on sale this week, too!  I picked a full bodied Merlot to use for this dish.  Any good red wine that you like to drink would work, too. 

Burgundy Beef Ribs

1/2-1 C flour
1 tsp grill seasoning, or salt and pepper to taste
2 # boneless beef ribs
2 onions sliced thinly
1 bag frozen pearl onions
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 T minced garlic
2 T Worchestershire sauce
2 1/2 C beef stock
3 C wine
2 T dredging flour
Pasta
Frozen peas

Dredge ribs in flour mixed with grill seasoning.  In a large deep sided skillet, or dutch oven brown ribs well in oil.  Set aside.  Add sliced onions and brown.  In a measuring cup, mix 1 C beef stock with 2 heaping T of the dredging flour.  Whisk until smooth.  Add to pan to deglaze, and scrape up bits.  Add remaining beef stock, and wine.  Heat to boiling, and adjust liquid to make a medium bodied gravy.  Add pear onions, and herbs and garlic.  Carefully slide the browned ribs back into the pot, and cover and move to the oven.  Bake at 350*F for three hours.  Adjust seasoning before serving, as this will change in flavor and salt level during the long cooking. 
I served this with some homemade style pasta.  I placed a half a bag of frozen peas in the colander, and poured the cooked pasta and water over it.  The boiling water is just right for defrosting and warming up the peas without making them taste starchy and lose their color from overcooking.  Top the pasta and peas with the wine gravy, and a couple falling apart tender ribs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment