Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Noodles

I used to make noodles often when we were first married.  We lived on 800 bucks a month, so anything I could do to stretch our budget, I did.  We bought and stored 50 pounds of flour at a time, and we lived on a ranch where there were chickens, so we had access to eggs.  It was a long trip to town, and most of it on unpaved roads, so if I ran out of something, I had to improvise.
Noodles are easy, but require some upper body strength to roll.  I think on my next trip to town, I'll have to invest in a pasta roller, so I can get them to come out thin and smooth.  Even though my noodles today were not what I used to be able to do, (they were a little lumpy and too thick) they were still delicious.  I don't know why I every started using dried!
So here's my noodle recipe.  If the dough is too dry, add a little T of water at a time until it feels the right texture.


Egg Noodles
1 1/2 C all purpose flour  (I use 1 C white, and a half C wheat to make them more nutritious)
3 large eggs
a scant tsp of salt
fresh pepper to taste
Pour the flour on a clean and dry countertop, in a pile.  With the back of the measuring cup, push out the center of the flour to make a well.  It will look like a volcano crater.  Make sure there is flour surrounding the well on all sides, or your eggs will leak out, and it will be infinitely more messy.  Crack the eggs into the well, and season with salt and a grind of fresh pepper.  With a fork, start stirring the eggs, incorporating a little flour at a time until a dough ball forms.  Knead it gently to clean the board of all remaining flour, and cover with a bowl and let rest ten minutes.  On a lightly floured board, roll the dough with a floured rolling pin as thin as humanly possible, (or run it through a pasta roller).  With the dough lightly dusted with flour on both sides, fold it over in thirds to make a long rectangle, and slice into thin noodles.  Separate, and cook in either boiling salted water, or add to chicken or beef soup.  Cook fifteen minutes or until noodles are floating and tender.
You can also put this dough in a colander and pushing it back and forth across the holes to make spaetzle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment