Thursday, June 2, 2011

Turkey Casserole

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the deli section of our Safeway store.  They have a constant supply of perfectly roasted rotisserie chicken and turkey breast.  I try to keep one or the other on hand in the fridge; for meals, and for the bonus of making stock with the leftover carcass.
We had kind of a crap day today.  My brother in law died, and I had a sick three year old with a fever of 102.5, plus a crabby grouchy bawling baby that is teething, and the mother of all migraines.  I couldn't wait for time to go do chores and work with the colts.  When the regular work day is over, we still have livestock chores, and when we have client horses, we are training after that.
We didn't get back to the house until almost ten, and everybody was starving.  Luckily, I had a turkey breast, and I pulled this meal together in no time.  It will be great for my daycare kids' lunch tomorrow, and I can pack it in Don's lunchbox for work as well.

Turkey Casserole

1 turkey breast cooked and diced
1/2 pkg frozen mixed vegetables
2 C cooked pasta shells
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 box chicken stock
1 C whole milk
salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta, and vegetables seperately.  Drain and reserve.
In a dutch oven, melt the butter and cook the flour stirring with a whisk until it gets golden and smells nutty.  Add in herbs.  Slowly whisk in chicken stock, and then milk.  Bring to a boil;  add in chicken, pasta and vegetables and cook until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment