Monday, February 14, 2011

Eggs in Purgatory

It's official, we are lambing.  We had three of our ewes lamb this weekend.  Thankfully, it's been very warm, up in the fourties during the day. The lambing barn was so warm yesterday, I uncovered down to my t shirt, and got some sun while Don and Joel went home for a bottle for one chilled down lamb.  The new lambs were very appreciative of the warmth as well, and the comfy straw beds.
Our life is on high speed now until all the babies are on the ground.  I am so glad I made food ahead!  I even got to sneak in a nap yesterday, as I already had the chicken casserole done!
I have to use my easy, quick filling food recipes now, as we are going to be super busy for a while.  I am not a sweet breakfast person.  I like the savory breakfast items like grits and eggs, biscuits and gravy, etc...much more than pancakes and other breakfast breads.
This is my take on Eggs in Purgatory.  It is great when you are in a time pinch, as it takes only about ten minutes to make.  I served it over some biscuits leftover from yesterday's breakfast, but they would also be good with grits.

Eggs in Purgatory
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
3 pickled jalapenos diced
In a skillet, bring the tomatoes and jalapenos to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, and break in eggs.  This will make enough sauce for four people, so you can top with up to eight eggs.  Salt and pepper eggs, and cover with a lid.  Simmer until eggs are set, and serve over biscuits or grits, or toasted bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment